Energized Ultimate lists blocking NextDNS
Energized Ultimate blocking nextdns.io
Energized have been having major issues with their blocklists. From what we know:
- they started blocking tons of legitimate domains (amazon.in, github.io, tailscale.io ... and nextdns.io). See https://github.com/EnergizedProtection/block/issues/973
- their blocklists are currently empty, not sure if that was the quickest way to fix the mess or simply another issue. See https://block.energized.pro/spark/formats/domains.txt
- their website is currently a blank page. See https://energized.pro
- their latest commit emptied the README.md file from their official repo. See https://github.com/EnergizedProtection/block/commit/8bc981b5b1e813ab07ea80cbb08e4b42643d9b6e
At NextDNS we have a policy to not alter third-party blocklists, we use them as-is so you know you get an unaltered and unopinionated version of the actual blocklist. We also do not silently allow anything (that includes nextdns.io).
had to add it to allowlist
Addresses that I had Whitelisted are getting push to block list including all NextDNS addresses. Took me a while to get back access to my dashboard. I had to install the iOS app to gain back access. Really thought I was hacked for a bit.
From what i tested every regional TLD is blocked with a wild card (.se, .io, .de, .co.uk, ,gr etc)
also seeing .me, .co, .gg and .xyz
Effected energizer blocklists seem to be Basic and Ultimate
I do believe nextdns is fetching these lists wrong somehow, there dont seem to be any commits to the energizer repo that adds these either
It definitely seems to be a NextDNS issue:
- Energized's own site says the Ultimate list has way more entries (626404) than the one listed in NextDNS's dashboard says (1402 at the moment)
- Energized have a checking tool here. At the moment NextDNS is blocking github.io (for example) and saying it's blocked by Energized Ultimate, but when you check on the tool, it says the list does not block it.
Wherever NextDNS is pulling that list from, it's not the actual Energized Ultimate they've published
Came here for this, having severe issues related to Energized myself. NEXTDNS has been having issues for some time and I wake up to find Google, Microsoft, Amazon and Wyze ALL disabled via multiple Energized extensions. I've had em on with no issues until this morning. Today, I wake up and my devices were reading "no internet" but I can only modify my DNS settings when connected... so it was a huge hassle to say the least. Looks like my security cameras also didn't capture/upload for that time. Good thing I have a local backup.
A week ago, my college website, that is "my.asu.edu" was blocked under the porn filter. Wondering how you have a DNS block an EDU domain for "Porn" catagory LMAO but the issues are only getting worse. I wish I could refund my year subscription at this point since the idea was to increase uptime and now I'm fixing NEXTDNS more than using it. I wish I could get my money back and have bought Eero secure. I tried specifically seeking out another DNS service instead of using the Amazon based one, but given these repeat issues I'm feeling like I should've stuck with what came with my device.
The problem is back again. Yahoo mail, Reddit and other sites are blocked.
- Status Solved
- 2 mths agoLast active