0

QUad 9 still being reported by my.nextdns.io

I have been using Nextdns off and on for a couple of years using the installed and the app on Windows10 . When I re-enabled NEXTDNS my.nextdns.io indicated that

This device is not using NextDNS.

This device is currently using ”Quad9” as DNS resolve

This is even though the configuration ID is correct. I have verified that the IPV4 does not have custom DNS #s in there. Neither does the router. I have even exited the app and used the NEXTDNS DNS
45.90.28.216

45.90.30.216

For the IPV4 DNS settings for the computer and it made absolutely no difference.  When I did the ipconfig /all the two Nextdns DNS IPs show up as DNS.  Where is the Quad9 set on this Windows10 computer?

7replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
  • It might be something to do with your router, you can set it up there and make sure that any sort of DNS Filtering etc on the router is disabled, I saw people say that they saw a random DNS provider and it was because of some Shield option on their Router. I can't say for sure but worth checking out if that's the case. 

    Like 1
  • I discovered that if the DNS #s were hard coded for the computer and instead of using Brave browser which Is my default browser I used MS Edge and checked at my.nextdns.io then the page showed it was configured properly. If I blew out the DNS IP addresses and simply used the app MS Edge still reported Quad9 was being used.

    I will check that setting in the router but going to leave NextDNS disabled for now since I lost all network connectivity after all this testing and had to reboot the computer. Right now its using the ISP DNS off the router.

    Like
      • Hey
      • Hey
      • 2 wk ago
      • Reported - view

      Jim alright and you can disable the DNS option on Brave if there is one, if the app is causing problems, I usually don't say this since I saw people complain about Asus and Merlin having bugs etc but set it up on the router level if you can, I use DDNS on my TP-Link and it's been working perfectly, I don't deal with my Carriers DoT blocking and I get seamless AdBlocking.

      Like
      • Jim
      • Jim.1
      • 2 wk ago
      • Reported - view

      Hey Alas that is indeed what I am running an Asus RT-AC86u with Merlin 386.3_2 firmware. This router though has not been a recent addition unless this version of the firmware has introduced a bug. Going to have to do more research on whether implementing it at the router level is going to cause more issues than It is worth.

      Appreciate the help and suggestions.

      Like
      • Rob
      • iOS Developer
      • Rob
      • 2 wk ago
      • Reported - view

      Jim Check the DNS Privacy setting in Asuswrt-merlin:

      https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng/wiki/DNS-Privacy

      Maybe Quad9 is set there?

      PS: You can run NextDNS on that firmware!

      Like
  • @rob Thanks but DNS Privacy Protocol is set to none. I have been using hardcoded DNS in this Windows 10 using non NextDNS #. Recently, I noticed that DNS look up issues on some sites as if the lookup was failing and clicking on retry would load the page. As well YouTube chat for recorded or live streams would take 20 secs to populate.  I have reverted to using only my ISPs DNS to see if these problems still exist. 

     I don't want to change too many things at once so I can have an inkling of what could be the solution/problem.

    Like
  • Finally figured out that the Quad9 was Brave related to its settings under Security where it was set to Quad9 for Secure DNS. I deactivated to see if that fixes all these issues.

    Like 1
Like Follow
  • 2 wk agoLast active
  • 7Replies
  • 101Views
  • 4 Following