How to make NextDNS even better... My top 5 list.
This is just a friendly post how I think NextDNS can be even better in the future. I have used NextDNS since early betas, but now it has grown to a global service with paying customers that demands more and some things have not kept up with the fast growth.
I think most really would appreciate these five things:
- A better way to get support other than a discussion-forum. Posting full diagnostic-logs in a public forum is also not great for privacy. I liked the chat-function earlier where I always would get a personal answer within a few hours. DNS is such an important piece for a good Internet experience and especially with Premium/Business users that needs better/faster professional support.
- A roadmap what's upcoming. Now we can read hints in threads, but then weeks/months/quarters passes without any updates. Everything from new planned PoP's to new features and gui-improvements. Seems there is a lot of "will" but silence makes people frustrated and the feeling nothing happens.
- A dashboard with planned maintenance and current operation (map/dashboard showing servers online/offline, active/used PoP's, latency, operational disturbances etc.). Also a Twitter-feed with operation/status-notifications would be really nice.
- The CLI should be the flagship, but feels a bit lagging in development (log not working "Error: exit status 1", not selecting the best Ultralow-PoP, redundancy/switch-over not working if one PoP is going down, are some config-settings obsolete like using 'hardened privacy servers'?)
- Blocking-lists should be more actively maintained, adding new sources, remove old ones that never updates etc. Also more info/details about each feature under the "Security-tab", like what's the sources of 'Threat Intelligence Feeds" etc.
Is NextDNS still only driven and developed by two persons globally to handle everything from 24/7 operation, infrastructure, support, coding/development (server/clients) and the business?!
Keep up the good work!!
You can get some info on the TI feeds here: https://github.com/nextdns/metadata/tree/master/security
It sounds like all of the feeds they use are in their metadata repo: https://github.com/nextdns/metadata
Since I just saw this active I'd like to make a comment, the support isn't bad in the slightest. Every time I contacted them got a response on the same day. For people that are saying that they only want money I would say obviously not the case. For most basic users they can straight up use the free plan if all they use is a single device. There is a valid point about some filters that are still there but have been inactive for a year now etc. With not many things being added as features. I haven't had any issues with latency or anything else so I can't comment on that but yeah. Just could have some other neat things to spice it up. I'd say overall a great service.