Amazon Prime issues on Android TV
I am currently experiencing an issue on a Xiaomi Mi Box S and Amazon Prime. Everything works except Prime and I have been searching to see what is being blocked that makes it not work. When the app starts it just says I'm not connected but if I leave it on a little bit it connects, but I can not start to stream anything it just says an error occured.
My setup is an OpenWRT that runs NextDNS DoH and DNS hijacks every device on the network. I have slowly been removing filtering until today when nothing, either privacy nor security is enabled on NextDNS and still I have the issue. If I disable DoH and NextDNS then Prime works with no issue. Today I decided to see what happens if instead of disabling DoH I just changed the DNS server from NextDNS DoH to Cloudflare DoH and when I did Prime worked again. So it seems to be something with NextDNS and Prime, even without any filtering or any other options enabled, just the service itself stops Prime from working. Prime works great on the phone and with casting, just not on the Android TV app.
I don't know what else I can try to debug this issue, any advice?
I would say you should still check the logs and see if anything gets blocked, it might be blocked by something else other than the main filters. Rebooting the device or router could also help if nothing is blocked to make it a fresh start if neither works clearing the app data of Prime on Android TV would be my last bet after that its too technical for me so gotta see what NextDNS people say.
It has always been disabled except for a short time where I was trying with it on in case it made a difference which it didn't, the issue persisted. Though after continuing to play around with different option, I suspect I might have found the culprit, or there's quite the coincidence that it started working after doing this.
What I did was I disabled CNAME flattening, and with that I still have the initial message that I am not connected to the internet for the first 5-10 seconds before the app actually starts, but after that I can at least start streaming things, and for now I can wait for the 5-10 seconds because it's only after a restart that I need to deal with it. I can't exactly explain why but it seems the streaming part got fixed once the CNAME flattening was turned off.